Let’s cut to the chase – I’m always craving Pad Thai. Unfortunately, neither my wallet nor my body support my desire to order take-out on a weekly basis. I was able to whip together this tasty DIY version in less than 30 minutes, including the time it took to pause Gilmore Girls on Netflix each time I had to run to the fridge. For the sake of time, let’s get to it!
What You’ll Need…
- 1 box Annie Chun’s Pad Thai Rice Noodles
- olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup (or so) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1.5-2 limes, juiced
- ~2 tsp crushed red pepper
- unsalted (or low salt) peanuts
- ~1 lb chicken, shrimp, or meat substitute, cooked (optional)
What To Do…
- Cook rice noodles to a slightly firm consistency according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil and saute chicken, shrimp, or meat substitute. I skipped this step for this week’s lunches but adding meat will make this recipe a little more filling! Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together white wine vinegar, fish sauce, sriacha, lime juice, and crushed red pepper. You guessed it… set aside.
- Heat more oil in the skillet or wok. Crack eggs and scramble over medium heat. Cook until firm.
- Stir in cooked meat, green onion, bean spouts. and softened pasta. Pour sauce mixture over the top and stir until combined. Continue cooking over medium heat until bean sprouts are soft (about 2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Top with crushed peanuts and serve immediately or portion out in microwavable safe container for the perfect work lunch!
What other restaurant style foods do you like to make at home?