Just over 3 months ago, my husband started seeing a naturopathic doctor in order to treat him for years and years of unyielding stomach pain that no other doctors could seem to figure out. After one visit, his new doctor put him on the Blood Type Diet for Type O. This is something that we had heard of through our constant Googling of “stomach pain relief” and “digestive relief”, but it seemed drastic, far fetched, and less than ideal, so we never gave it a shot. Three months later (and a level of commitment that I envy) and he has had ZERO stomach pain since the second or third day of the diet.
The challenge is in the significant restrictions that have been placed on my food loving hubby. We are so grateful that he is able to enjoy food without the expectation of impending pain, but it has taken some creativity to discover alternative food choices to keep his intake interesting. One day a few weeks ago, while I was digging into a pint of Ben & Jerry’s new dairy free almond milk ice cream (even us clean-eaters have to have a weakness!), he decided he wanted some too! Beyond the almond milk there was virtually nothing in my ice cream that was on his new diet. [Enter stage left: our ice cream maker]
We came up with a recipe that not only met all of his diet’s qualifications, but was also DELICIOUSLY CREAMY! Rumor has it, this is even an indulgence that woos New England’s Main Man, Tom Brady…;)
Without further ado… the much requested and ridiculously easy Avocado Ice Cream!
What You’ll Need…
- Ice Cream Maker
- Blender or food processor
- 2 very ripe avocados
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1- 14oz can full-fat coconut milk
- Pinch of stevia
What To Do…
- Using a spoon, scoop avocado out of its skin and into a blender or food processor. Add coconut milk, lemon juice, and stevia and blend until smooth
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker per manufactures instructions (mine instructs me to turn on the machine before pouring in the mixture)
- Allow machine to work for 20-25 minutes, depending on your machine and your desired consistency
- Scoop, add toppings, and enjoy!
- Drizzle of honey
- Dark chocolate chips
- Berries or sliced banana
- Slivered almonds or other nuts
- Coconut whipped topping
Send me your favorite homemade ice cream ideas!